Death Valley National Park, Stop No. 7
November 28, 2020
Location: Off of CA-190 W. You will take a 13 mile road to the top of the Black Mountains
Parking: Small parking lot
Pets: Not allowed
Fee: DVNP entrance fee $35/vehicle good for 7 days or America the Beautiful Pass
Restrooms: Yes, but not at the very top
Time Needed: 40 minutes
Video: click here
Our last stop of our busy day was Dante’s View. When deciding where to go, it was between Dante’s View and hitting Artists Palette one more time since we didn’t get to hike through it. However, after talking to a Park Ranger we landed on Dante’s View. We couldn’t have been happier with our choice.
Dante’s View is off of CA-190 W near the West entrance of the park and from there you will continue 13 miles to the top of the Black Mountains. There is a small parking lot at the top. We luckily got a spot! This was the perfect end to our day since we needed to leave through the West entrance.
We walked along the ridgeline of the Black Mountains as the sun was starting to set. Dante’s View has an incredible view of the salt flats, the lowest point in the park (and in North America) and looking across the salt flats is the towering Telescope Peak that is the highest point in the park. Depending on what you are looking to do, there are hikes here! We suggest researching it before.
We would recommend getting there close to sunset, but it is popular during this time, so we recommend getting there earlier to secure a spot. Also, because there is a mountain range on the other side of Badwater Basin, the sun will dip behind those before the actual horizon, making it darker a little earlier. We got there around 3:50pm and lucked out and got one of the last spots. We did see people parking on the side of the road, but it did seem dangerous because there isn’t a lot of room and the road curves.
We stayed and took the incredible view in for about 40 minutes and then headed out because we had a long drive back to our Airbnb outside of Las Vegas. We stayed in Las Vegas because our Airbnb we had chosen near Death Valley NP cancelled on us last minute. But this allowed us to go to Valley of Fire State Park the next day.